dimanche 3 juin 2012

Therapy is a powerful tool to discharge negative emotions/testimony

There are few things I like talking about more than about reducing stress through the narrative discourse using the first person viewpoint, first, because of the results second, because, once a client has done it, it is almost like starting to write on a clean slate. I would say that doing this work is "a return to life". It is a wonderful way to clean up the past and reach levels of joy and fulfilment never reached before. 



 
Tunnel therapy brings outstanding results

Survivors of trauma have not reached psychological maturity
When people are survivors of certain trauma, they readily admit that they got older but never really grew up. One of the ways in which survivors know they have not grown up is that they identify with some of their fixed emotions, feeling their anger is triggered by someone: "I'm angry because you make me angry". Easily triggered, they do not experience emotions created as appropriate to their beliefs, desires, involvements and what they want out of life.

Inner work opens onto direct communication with the subconscious mind
This technique of inner work called the tunnel therapy is one which opens onto a direct communication with the subconscious mind to heal past traumas and to overcome limiting beliefs. The people who consult in tunnel therapy face and tackle their problems at their root cause.

Emotions that remain locked in are negative affects
Everyone is enabled to access their emotions. Certain emotions like fear and stress stay locked in the body, profoundly affecting most people much of the time. Once they have finally released states of fear, anger, anxiety, stress, depression and loneliness, and the blockages are removed, vitality flows freely and a sense of calm and well-being is expected.

In essence, three ways are commonly used in handling a feeling:

Suppress it. But mostly, suppressed feelings stay there, building up and festering inside, causing anxiety, tension, depression, and many stress-related problems, causing the individual to behave in ways he doesn't understand, seemingly out of control.

Express it. Losing one's temper relieves the pressure of accumulated emotions because it puts the feeling into some type of action, but it doesn't get rid of the feeling, or the roots that create the feeling. It only relieves the pressure of it momentarily.   

Avoiding the issue. Coping with the feelings by avoiding the issue, by talking, watching TV, eating, smoking, drinking, taking drugs, having sex, thwarts our efforts to escape them; we know they are still there. The form of stress they generate takes a toll on the body.

Option for handling a feeling – once you focus on it, fully experience it, you can let it go.
It involves putting words on it, working it out, releasing it, and then, discharging it from the body, from the mind in order to develop better coping strategies where and when it applies.

Stress, anxiety, shame, guilt, pain, sadness, trauma 
These are feelings and emotions consistent with being human. At times, these can block our ability to live life fully and give us the impression that we are stuck in situations beyond our control, such as when we find ourselves repeating patterns of violence in relationships, failures with career choices, or repetitions of physical ailments and health issues indicating our ill being.


The tunnel therapy is a powerful tool to let go of negative emotions
Tunnel therapy is a simple but powerful tool that can help regain the sense of choice over negative emotions and help each individual recover personal power, turning the stuck energy into empowerment so that he can freely choose what is best in his life. After releasing the negative emotions, the individual is free to experience more of life's joy and happiness as well as health.

Violence and harassment in the workplace
A lot of people have experienced violence in the workplace. It usually starts benignly, but some claim it has damaged their self-esteem so much that once they got away from the agressor, they were unable to return to work. Evidently, there are two sides to all stories, but what follows is the story of one person who has decided to fight for her rights.


TESTIMONIES
Theme: violence in the workplace
Angela writes:

I raised my children before I went on the workforce. When I first began, I was excited and very motivated. The work entailed training people and I loved the contact with the other workers. Eventually other women joined the task group and it soon became clear that one person who didn't know me was already against me. Snide remarks about my choice of attire, taking all the opportunities to speak down to me in front of the others, tatling to our boss about my supposedly wrongdoings, direct attacks at the dinner table concerning my faith, all these remarks became everyday events.

When I went to my boss regarding this, she said I was an adult, that I should communicate to this other worker about how it made me feel. I tried but this person had a bagful of tricks to destabilize me. It was ten long years before I was able to make a change in my work situation, but the damage was done. When I entered therapy, it became clear that I was suffering from low esteem and I tracked it down to all the low, unspeakable comments addressed to me while on that workteam. Not only did I feel fragile and unimportant, but somehow, I almost validated the right to others to denigrate me like that. I almost felt responsable for the attacks and it was really because I knew I must be wrong about this that I even spoke about it. I felt shameful of this situation and was afraid I would be judged on the merits of those attacks on my person. Truly, I felt demolished.

Eventually, I looked at other aspects of violence in my life. It was very liberating, but I had to build my self-esteem over again. It was a lot of work and I could have avoided all of that if I had trusted my instincts as soon as it started. Today, I would do it differently and I'm proud to have gained back my self-love and my dignity. 

The feeling of being abandoned
Family and friends of suicidal people bring them to this therapy with a lot of expectations. Often, the person is even brought by family members who are desperately trying to save her or him.

In this instance, I met Lee when she was getting other services than mine. When she became my client, I had no idea what would happen as I had absolutely no background or family to fall back on should she attempt something at my Center.


Theme: heal from being abandoned
Lee writes:

When I first met Ms. Loranger, I had attempted on my life 13 times already. I was under 40 years old and didn't think I could go on much longer, having been abandoned by my ex-husband shortly before.

Maybe you think that I didn't really want to die, maybe so, but each time I thought "This is it!" And I was so angry when I woke up in the hospital after trying again.

I tell you, I was building on my repertoire of techniques so that one of these times I would succeed.

You know how you make scenarios in your mind. When I was given Ms. Loranger's name and accepted to do the therapy, I had to do it, just to prove that I had given it a try. When I did kill myself, whoever had believed it could help me would not hold it against me, because after all I had tried. Right?

Six sessions later, I was a little better. When life has been so miserable for so long, every little bit counts and it is noticeable. I could also tell that there was a slight shift in my attitude, my "thoughts" even appeared more "normal" if I can say it that way. It still took a full year of process to RESTORE me.

I'm lucky in the sense that I own property and I was thus able to fund my therapy. After the first few weeks, I stopped thinking so much about death and I surprised myself by going to ask help from unlikely people to help me go through my divorce and all the proceedings. That was so new to me, it even surprised me.

Really, I am an advocate of this therapy or have become one. I am writng this two years after I did my therapy, and there hasn't been a day I have not been grateful to....for telling me about this therapy. For anyone who's lied awake thinking that DEATH would bring RELEASE, I say: Give this a try, you will not regret it, I swear,

Thanks to all who helped me through this. I thank me for doing it.


Theme: healing from family feuds
Teresa writes:

I didn't have menstruations for 12 years. At 16, I weighed 82 pounds. I was hooked on a respirator and spoon fed baby food for a whole year. I was hospitalized and given last rites. I lost many fine years in my life. But an angel watched over me in the person of my aunt....she insisted that I move away from my parents' home where I was an only child.

My mother is the best at everything and I shall never be able to measure up. I have stopped trying, but for many years, I was in a competition with her. My therapy is over, but I'm still trying to rebuild myself and get to know and love who I am.

I started vomiting when I was 11 years old. My mom and dad would get into solid arguments about my weight; dad calling it my baby fat and saying the appeal of boys would soon turn me into a beautiful swan, my mother insisting on measuring the food on my plate, even when we had company. What humiliation! She also forced me to swallow laxatives.

I felt like I was such a failure and a deception. I swore to myself that I would get to master my weight. A girlfriend on my soccer team said she made herself vomit when she ate too much. I learn fast, I was soon an adept, as well as becoming a really good liar about all the time I either spent in the washroom or why I was only picking at my food in my plate. It felt like a game sometimes and I became quite good at managing myself in other ways as well.

No one suspected until June 2007. It was at an anniversary dinner. I ate and shortly after, I headed for the W.C., my little cousin entered, heard me and told my angel aunt who confronted me. I was soon telling her in bits and pieces about my personal hell. My aunt works at the ....public health, so she got on the phone and called her friends who refered her to ............ I wasn't yet ready to give it up so I started going down fast. When I reached 82 pounds, my doctor recommended hospitalization. It was worse than anything else. I had no power on what happened to me and I was ready to die, or so I thought. It felt like I was dying anyway.

My aunt continued to look for a miracle. One day, she met Lorraine at a cultural function and after talking about me, invited her to visit me in the hospital.

I didn't meet with her until eight months later (To be released from the hospital, I had to gain weight), but the therapy was what I needed. Today, I am learning to respect myself and to say no. When I was residing in a group home, a lot of the work involved getting to know the needs of my body. It was very useful, but when I started the inner work, I started to understand what got me where I was. I was reliving the whole scene and I saw how I preened for my mother as if I was a talented little monkey. I wanted to please so much that I wanted to die if she had asked me: that is how it felt for me.

I haven't made my peace with my mother and I don't even want to at this time. But I am living very well with my decision. I have work that I like and I have started to see a man who really cares for me. Everyday is a challenge, but I am now better equipped to face up. If needed, I know I would go back into tunnel therapy and that it is not a sign of failure, but one which shows how I want to live strong and healthy, both physically and mentally.


Message from Lorraine Loranger
Our fast-moving modern lives prevent us from following our natural rhythm. Based on hyperactivity, competition, and will, we hold in contempt our fatigue and stress. As we go beyond, producing efforts upon efforts, we buck up, we hang on, we persist and end up...exhausted.


Let us say that I have a philosophy for doing the work I do and the way I do it. Accounts of significant events in the life of the narrator have a plot, which is less often chronological and more often arranged according to a principle determined by the nature of the help the person needs. It is non-conventional: narration in the sense that it is used here deals with description, time, as well as context. 


Thank you for your continuous support making sure education touches all your contacts.










Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire